Pet insurance pays, partly or in total, for veterinary treatment of the insured person’s ill or injured pet. Some policies will pay out when the pet dies, or if it is lost or stolen.
As veterinary medicine is increasingly employing expensive medical techniques and drugs, and owners have higher expectations for their pet’s health care and standard of living than previously, the market for pet insurance has increased.
Pet insurance companies are beginning to offer the pet owner more of an ability to customize their coverage by allowing them to choose their own level of deductible or co-insurance. This allows the pet owner to control their monthly premium and choose the level of coverage that suits them the best.
Some of the differences in insurance coverage are:
- Whether congenital and hereditary conditions (like hip dysplasia, heart defects, eye cataracts or diabetes) are covered;
- How the reimbursement is calculated (based on the actual vet bill, a benefit schedule or usual and customary rates);
- Whether the deductible is on a per-incident or an annual basis;
- Whether there are any limits or caps applied (per incident, per year, age or over the pet’s lifetime); and
- Whether there is an annual contract that determines anything diagnosed in the previous year of coverage is considered pre-existing the next year.
Source: Pet Insurance
Willow Pet Hospital has no exclusive relationship with pet insurance providers but work with clients to get the best value for their money. Our experience is that this is a great value and protection for you and your pet if an expensive emergency visit or surgery is required. It is important to know that unlike human medical insurance, Willow Pet Hospital does not bill and get paid directly from insurance providers. Rather, it is expected that the client pay for services in full and then be reimbursed from their pet insurance company after submitting a claim. Willow Pet Hospital will work with clients to make sure they have the necessary documentation required for their claim submission.
Here are some of the most popular and well known businesses providing policies: